Teaching Language Concentration
Teaching Language (TESOL/TLOTE) Concentration
Office: 323C HBC
Students in the concentration in Teaching Language (TESOL/TLOTE) apply linguistic and technological tools for the teaching of languages.
Sample Requirements - Consult the Course Catalog for specific requirements.
Equivalent or alternative courses may be substituted for any of the courses listed below by approval of the program. Be aware that certain courses may have prerequisites.
Linguistics Core Courses (12 credits)
- LIN 601 Linguistic Analysis
- LIN 631 Phonological Analysis
- LIN 641 Syntactic Analysis
- LIN 674 Topics in Sociolinguistics
Concentration Area Required Courses (6 Credits)
- LIN 621 Introduction to Methodology for Teaching Languages: English/Foreign Language Teaching
- LIN 622 Advanced Methods for Teaching Languages: English/Foreign Language Teaching
Concentration Area Elective Courses (12 Credits)
- Two courses from List A - Consult the course catalog for approved list.
- Language Acquisition
- Learning Populations
- Materials Design
- Program Management
- Data Exploration and Management
- Two courses from List B - Consult the course catalog for approved list.
- Language and Society / Language Structure
In substitution for six of the elective credits (one from List A and one from List B), the student may prepare a thesis under the supervision of the concentration advisor or other faculty participating in the Program and on a topic approved by the Program.