Orange Alert

Transfer Credit: Frequently Asked Questions

Does Syracuse University accept transfer credit?

Syracuse University accepts transfer credit from any accredited two- or four-year institution.

How do I handle transfer credit when I am an incoming first-year student?

Any student who took (accredited) college-level credit in high school should submit their official transcript(s) to SU for review. You must earn at least a ā€œCā€ or better in an approved course to receive transfer credit. Please have an official copy of your transcript sent to as soon as your grades post, so that we can have the credit appropriately allocated prior to building your first fall schedule. You will need to submit a transfer credit petition for all Language courses, and select Writing or Mathematics courses. We will notify you if a petition is required.

Can I take Transfer Credit at an institution outside of the United States?

The College of Arts & Sciences does accept transfer credit outside of the United States, however starting in Fall 2019 all current and incoming students will be required to submit a course-by-course W.E.S Evaluation for any credits they have taken outside of the United States. Please check out the W.E.S Evaluation FAQ page for additional information.

How do I transfer credit from another institution that I have not taken to Syracuse University?

For all Math, Writing, and Language courses, or any course that could apply to your major/minor you must complete the Transfer Credit Petition prior to registering for classes at another institution.

For all other courses, please go to MySlice, Eforms, College of Arts and Sciences, and complete the online transfer credit petition.

What signatures do I need to obtain on the departmental transfer credit petition?

  • The Major/Minor Department Chairperson will review the petition if the course is to be applied toward your major or minor. For contact information, visit Academic Department websites.
  • The appropriate department chairperson will review the petition if the course will be applied toward a language, math, or writing studio requirement for your Liberal Arts Core.
  • Return the completed and signed petition to

What signatures do I need to obtain on the online liberal arts transfer credit petition?

  • Only your signature if the course is to be applied toward your Liberal Arts Core requirements (not including language, math or writing studio), Arts and Sciences elective credit, or non-Arts and Sciences elective credit.

Is there a maximum number of credits that can be transferred to Syracuse University?

  • A maximum of 66 credits from a combination of credit from a two-year college and any other credit (e.g., AP exams, experiential learning) will be accepted.
  • A maximum of 90 credits from a combination of credit from a two-year program and four-year program and/or any other credit (e.g., AP credit).

Please note: 30 credit hours must be completed at Syracuse University to receive a Syracuse University degree. Students are able to transfer credit hours; however, grades earned at another institution are not calculated in the Syracuse University grade point average.

Is there a maximum number of transfer credits I can take during my time at Syracuse?

Effective Fall of 2019, students can take up to 16 credits towards their Syracuse University Degree post matriculation.

Please note: Matriculated students who have already transferred in more than 16 credits post matriculation will not be able to transfer in any additional transfer credits.

Effective Fall 2020, of those 16 credits, only eight may contribute to the fulfillment of the divisional requirements in the Liberal Arts Core, with no more than one course applying to any divisional requirement section.

Is there a maximum number of transfer credits I can count towards my degree?

This depends on where you would like your transfer credits to count.

  • For a minor you can take up to a maximum of three transfer credits.
  • For a major it varies based on the department preference. Please check the course catalog to find out what your majors specific limits are.

What grade do I need to earn in the approved course to receive transfer credit?

You must earn at least a ā€œCā€ or better in an approved course to receive transfer credit.

Can I transfer credit for non-Arts and Sciences courses?

Yes. A maximum of 24 non-Arts and Sciences elective credits may count toward degree completion.

Is there a deadline for submitting a transfer credit petition?

No. However, it takes the Transfer Credit Evaluation Team an average of 5-7 business days during the semester to process petitions. During peak times such as registration and the start and end of each semester it will take The Transfer Credit Team 7-10 business days to process a petition.

How will I know if my petition is approved?

Once your petition has been reviewed and approved or denied, we will notify you via email to your Syracuse University account.

Once I complete my approved course, how do I officially transfer the credit?

Please have your other school send an official transcript directly to

If you are unable to have electronic copies sent, please have a physical transcript sent to:

Office of Academic and Career Advising
College of Arts & Sciences
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Civic Engagement
342 Hall of Languages
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY 13244-1170