Frequently Asked Questions
Our department has eliminated the GRE General Test for admission to the fall 2024 class. Applicants should NOT submit their GRE scores through ETS nor report their scores in the application portal or on their CVs or personal statements.
- Q: When should I submit my application for the December 1st deadline?
A: Applications should be submitted between October 1st and November 30th. The application is reviewed for updates yearly and changes go into effect on October 1st.
- Q: What is your admissions deadline?
A: Our admissions deadline is December 1.
- Q: What is your institution code/department code?
A: Our Institution Code is 2823. Syracuse University does not use department codes.
- Q: I haven’t heard back about my application, when will a decision be made?
A: All admit decisions are made by April 15th. We are unable to provide information about your status prior to April 15.
- Q: I am an international student, do I have to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores?
A: TOEFL/IELTS scores are required. This requirement is waived for students who graduated from an English speaking college or university.
- Q: I’m an international student and I need a conditional admission, a delayed admission, or a sponsor letter.
A: We do not admit students with conditional or delayed admission requirements, nor do we provide sponsor letters for applicants.
- Q: Do I have to submit an official transcript with my application?
A: No, a transcript copy is allowed. Official transcripts are only required after an applicant has been admitted.
- Q: How do I apply to your master’s program?
A: The department does not admit students for a terminal master’s degree. The department offers programs of graduate study leading to the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy with a Master of Science as part of the process.
- Q: I am an international student, does this require me to get a WES transcript evaluation?
A: If your transcript is not translated into English, then we require the WES evaluation. Otherwise, we do not require this evaluation, but we do encourage the evaluation if there will be any questions as to the degree equivalency to the U.S.
- Q: Where should I send my official transcript?
A: The graduate application will accept a transcript copy with the application. If accepted to the program, the student is required to order an official degree baring transcript to be sent to Syracuse University by the end of their first semester. Please see the details in the following website: https://www.syracuse.edu/admissions/graduate/admitted/transcript-requirement/
- Q: Should I list my semester study abroad institution in the post-secondary section of the application and do I need to send a transcript from the abroad institution?
A: No, there is no need to list the school or send a separate transcript if the information is listed in your bachelor’s transcript. The primary requirement is the transcript from the degree granting institution.
- Q: Do you require the GRE Psychology subject test?
A: No, only the GRE general test is required. However, our department has eliminated the GRE General Test for admission to the fall 2024 class. We will NOT accept or consider GRE scores for applications submitted this fall 2024. Applicants should NOT submit their GRE scores through ETS nor report their scores in the application portal or on their CVs or personal statements.
- Q: Please check my application and tell me what is missing.
A: We are unable to check status on individual applications. Applicants can log into their own account and see current status.
- Q: Is a particular faculty member accepting new students / Can I tour your facilities or meet with a particular faculty member before I apply?
A: Visits are by invitation only. Many of our program webpages list the faculty accepting students. You may reach out directly to faculty of interest to ask about their recruitment plans.
- Q: I’m having technical trouble with my on-line application.
A: Click on the “Contact our Help Desk” from within the application, or email the Help Desk at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Q: How much is your application fee/can I have the fee waived?
A: The application fee is $75. Fees are waived automatically for Veterans and McNair Scholars. The fee is otherwise required.
- Q: What is required to apply?
A: Each program provides information about application requirements on their web pages. Program links are listed on the right.
- Q: How do I apply?
A: You apply via our online application.
- Click the online application link and create a New User Account
- When queried as 'to which program and degree do you intend to apply?' select one of our four programs: Clinical Psychology, School Psychology, Social Psychology, or Cognitive Psychology.
- Q: What financial support do you offer/how much does it cost to attend your program?
A: Each program provides information about funding on their web pages. Program links are listed above.