PhD Student and Teaching Assistant
400 Hall of Languages
- Degree: Began Ph.D. program in 2023
- Concentration: Film Studies, Contemporary Narrative Fiction
- Advisor: Antonio Tiongson
Hyejun Kim (She) is a Ph.D. student who is interested in film studies, postcolonialism, and transnational cinema. In her research, Hyejun has examined the way in which imperial politics, capitalism, as well as gender inform contemporary filmic representations with a specific focus on the genre of speculative fiction such as horror and magical realism. She is invested in carving out cinematic techniques or themes that have been inflected by postcolonial consciousness to investigate the ongoing ramifications of colonialism at large. Other interests include trauma studies, adaptational studies, race studies and Afro-Caribbean fiction.
- B.A. English, Ewha Womans University
- M.A. English, Ewha Womans University