Professor, Linguistics and Hindi Program Coordinator
Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
312 HB Crouse Hall
Asian-Asian American Studies
Modern Foreign Languages
South Asian Studies
- Ph.D. Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1978).
- M.A. Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1975).
- LIN 381-681 Global Communication through World Englishes
- LIN 374-674 Topics in Sociolinguistics
- LIN 375-675 Forensic Linguistics
- Lin 471/671 Dimensions of Bilingualism and Biculturalism
Tej K. Bhatia is a Professor of Linguistics and Director of South Asian Languages at Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York. He has also served as Director of Linguistic Studies Program and Acting Director of Cognitive Sciences at his university. Currently, he is Faculty Fellow in Forensic Sciences and National Security Institute, and faculty affiliate in the Aging Studies Institute.
He has published numerous books, articles and book chapters in the area of bilingualism and multiculturalism; sociolinguistics; forensic linguistics & security studies; social and psychological information extraction; accents, pain and trauma; cross-cultural advertising; and the structure of English and South Asian languages (particularly, Hindi-Urdu and Punjabi).
He has consulted for many academic, administrative and business organizations. He has also held a number leadership positions in international societies, including current president of the International Association for World Englishes.
He has been the recipient of a number of grants from the National Science Foundation, US Department of Education, American Council of Learned Societies, The Smithsonian Institution, Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad, Linguistic Society of America, and American Council for Learned Society, among others. He serves on the Center for New Americans Refugee Resettlement Advisory Board of CNY. He is the Editor-in-Chief of Brill Research Perspectives Bilingualism & Multilingualism.
- Multilingual Schizophrenia. PI. (Query: How can I add publication?)
- U.S. Intelligence Community Centers of Academic Excellence (IC CAE). Co-PI.
- Prediction of coronary heart disease mortality from linguistic analysis of interpersonal conflict. The 2019 Collaboration for Unprecedented Success and Excellence (CUSE) Grant Program.
- 1994 to present Professor, Linguistics and South Asian Languages, Syracuse University.Director, South Asian Languages, South Asia Center, The Moynihan Institute of Global Affairs, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
- 2007-2008 Distinguished Research Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of Asian and Africa, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2003-2004 Fellow, Center for the Study of Popular Television. S. I. Newhouse School of Public Communication.
- 1999 to 2000 Distinguished Research Professor, Information Resources Center, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of Asian and Africa, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2000 Program Director & Faculty Advisor, Hawaii-Japan Gateway Program.
- 1992-1993 Acting Director, Cognitive Science Program, Syracuse University.
- 1985-1989 Director, Linguistic Studies Program, Syracuse University.
- 1985-1993 Associate Professor, Linguistics and South Asian Languages, Syracuse University.
- 1979 - 1984 Assistant Professor, Linguistics and South Asian Languages, Syracuse University.
Colloquial Urdu: The Complete Course for Beginners, by Tej Bhatia, Routledge; 2 edition (August 15, 2015), 400pp., ISBN-13: 978-1138960374
Colloquial Hindi: The Complete Course for Beginners, by Tej Bhatia, Routledge; 2 edition (July 5, 2015), 360pp., ISBN-13: 978-1138949720
The Routledge Intermediate Hindi Reader, by Naresh Sharma, and Tej Bhatia, Taylor & Francis Ltd (11 Dec 2013), 242pp., ISBN13: 9780415601764
The Handbook of Bilingualism and Multilingualism, edited by Tej Bhatia, and William Ritchie, Wiley-Blackwell; 2 edition (December 26, 2012), 964pp., ISBN-13: 978-1444334906
The New Handbook of Second Language Acquisition, by Tej Bhatia and William Ritchie, Emerald Group Publishing Limited; 2 edition (September 11, 2009), 750pp., ISBN-13: 978-1848552401
The Oldest Grammar of Hindustani: Contact, Communication and Colonial Legacy; Volume 3: Ketelaar: Original Manuscript (1698 A.D.), by Tej Bhatia, and Kazuhiko Machida, Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, Tokyo Universi; First Edition edition (2008), ISBN-13: 978-4863370166
The Oldest Grammar of Hindustani: Contact, Communication and Colonial Legacy; Volume 2: Lexical Corpus and Analysis, by Tej Bhatia and Kazuhiko Machido, Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, Tokyo Universi; First Edition edition (2008), ISBN-13: 978-4863370159
The Oldest Grammar of Hindustani: Contact, Communication and Colonial Legacy; Volume 1: Historical and Cross-Cultural Contexts. Grammar Corpus and Analysis, by Tej K. Bhatia and Kazuhiko Machida, Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, Tokyo Universi; First Edition edition (2008), ISBN-13: 978-4863370142
Advertising & Marketing in Rural India: Language, Culture, and Communication, by Tej Bhatia, MACMILLAN PUBLICATIONS (2007), ISBN-13: 978-0230633896
The Handbook of Bilingualism, edited by Tej Bhatia and William Ritchie, Wiley-Blackwell (February 23, 2004), ISBN-13: 978-0631227342904pp.,
Handbook of Child Language Acquisition, by William Ritchie and Tej Bhatia, Brill; 1 edition (November 16, 1998), 740pp., ISBN-13: 978-0125890410
Handbook of Second Language Acquisition 1st Edition , edited by William Ritchie and tej Bhatia, Emerald Group Pub Ltd; 1 edition (June 10, 1996), 758pp., ISBN-13: 978-0125890427
Punjabi ,by Tej Bhatia, Routledge (August 18, 1993), 460pp., ISBN-13: 978-0415003209
Most Recent Publications Since 2014
- Emotions and language in advertising.
- Advertising God in Hinduism and Islam (with Reza Samar)
2019. Language and thought disorders in multilingual schizophrenia. World Englishes 38: 18-29.
2018. Accent, intelligibility, mental health, and trauma. World Englishes 37: 421-431.
2018 Bilingualism and multilingualism. Oxford Bibliographies Online: Linguistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Editor-in-Chief, Professor Mark Aronoff. http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/obo/page/linguistics. DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780199772810-0056
2016. South Asian languages in Diaspora. Hock, Hans, Elena Bashir, K.V. Subbarao, eds. The South Asia volume for the new series World of Linguistics, 2016
2016. Emerging trilingual literacies in rural India: linguistic, marketing, and developmental aspects, International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, pp. 1-14(2015).
2014 ‘America’ in Indian advertising: Change and Impact. Journal of Comparative American Studies. Vol 12: 1-2, pp. 71-83. with Mukesh Bhargava.
(Dec. 1, 2017)
Next stops for Tej Bhatia: Singapore and India
(Oct. 12, 2017)
Hundreds flock to campus to pay tribute to World Englishes pioneer Braj Kachru
(June 13, 2017)
Program will feature 150 lectures exploring ‘Local and Global Contexts of World Englishes’
(Nov. 3, 2015)
Tej Bhatia is world-renowned expert on bilingualism, multiculturalism